Are you recently divorced and having difficulty adjusting to you new lifestyle? You are not alone!
Moving forward after divorce can be challenging, because you are starting over, rebuilding your life, possibly moving and even restarting your career. You may be wondering what to focus on and how to adjust to all these changes.
Here are some pointers for surviving AND thriving after divorce:
1️⃣ All the time spent you may have spent on the divorce proceedings — and the emotional and financial issues that went along with it — is over. Your life is no longer “on hold.” Try to see the positive side of your divorce and your ability to develop as an individual.
- Now is the time to focus on creating your new life and a brand new you. It’s never too late to live the life you want.
2️⃣ Celebrate being single
- Take a trip with friends, your kids, or by yourself if you can afford it.
- Throw yourself a “divorce party.” Divorce is a process of going through and coming out the other side. A celebration marks that you’re moving forward with your new life.
3️⃣ Enjoy your freedom and the time you have to yourself
- Reconnect with old friends and make new ones
- Pursue new hobbies and find things that you enjoy doing
- Advance your career or start a new one
- Go back to school
- Decorate your home or apartment
4️⃣ Update your wardrobe to reflect your new life. You don’t have to spend a lot of money. If your finances are tight, find things on sale or visit local or online consignment shops. Host a clothing swap with friends.
5️⃣ Plan events that you can look forward to when you see them written in your calendar. It can be dinner with a friend, or a concert or movie night. Find local events at Eventbrite.com and Meetup.com. Vesta has quite a few Meetup groups and there are many other wonderful Meetup groups out there.
- Vesta’s Massachusetts and Rhode Island Meetup Groups
- Vesta’s Southern California Meetup Groups
- We also recommend these Meetup Groups run by our friends:
6️⃣ Make a bucket list of things you want to do or try
- Places you want to visit (make sure you have an up-to-date passport, just in case)
- Things you’ve always wanted to try, such as zip-lining, salsa dancing, etc.
7️⃣ Attend Vesta’s Post-Divorce Events
- We host a variety of social events, as well as Post-Divorce Workshops, Boot Camps and Retreats in Massachusetts and Rhode Island , as well as Southern California.
Adjusting to life after divorce may not be easy. However, it is an opportunity to recreate yourself and your life. Stay strong and have faith in yourself. It’s never too late to live the life you want. And remember, after a storm comes a rainbow.
“Don’t turn around. Don’t look back. Keep moving forward. Keep pushing. The pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow, not the beginning.”
– Ziad K. Abdelnour
Deanna Coyle is Co-Founder and Concierge Manager of Vesta: Redefining Divorce, which provides informative and social events & retreats that educate, empower and connect people to help them navigate life before, during and after divorce with confidence. Vesta’s mission is to provide people with trusted resources and a supportive community to enable them to take that challenging life transition and turn it into an opportunity to create a new and happy life for themselves and their families. You may contact Deanna at 508-744-6014 or Team@VestaDivorce.com. Or sign up for a complimentary Concierge call with Deanna at Calendly.com/DeannaCoyle.