This time of year, there is an incredible amount of talk and pressure about what’s the best diet, how to diet, where to start, or how to make this your best year for health and wellness.
January 1 has come and gone…. Now what?
Do either of these scenarios sound familiar to you?
- Was it a great idea at midnight when you made that bold statement that you are doing it — you are officially dieting — and 5 days later, you have already broken one small rule and now are spiraling back to where you started? Do you again feel like a failure?
- Are you planning on spending the year drinking shakes, eating bars and meal replacements that claim they are the answer to your never-ending battle of yo-yo dieting?
If this is you, it may be time to learn how to diet without dieting.
How to diet without dieting is not all or nothing. What you can learn to do is make one small change at a time , eat real whole foods that you buy from the supermarket, listen to your body, create new habits and determine how your environment is impacting your choices. It may be time to learn that self-compassion goes a long way and that making better food choices most of the time is really good enough.
What if you could get off the diet roller coaster and learn how to diet without dieting? What would that look like?
- No food rules
- No on the diet, off the diet
- No set meal plan (there is a difference between a meal plan and meal planning)
- Reframing your thinking to being committed to lifestyle changes (most of the time)
- There is no end date… learn skills to create sustainable change — one small action at a time — that will last forever
- No good food versus bad food
- No GUILT or SHAME
- Only PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Having “dieted” since the age of 12, I happily discarded the word diet from my vocabulary several years ago.
I now enjoy living a healthy lifestyle — most of the time. Even a health coach is not perfect and I have learned to become ok with it. That’s what learning how to diet without dieting is all about.
Are you confused about what “diet without dieting” really is?
Here’s the secret…
- Learn how to listen to your body
- Understand the difference between full and stuffed
- Eat as slowly as possible
- Understanding your relationship to food and the difference between physical and emotional hunger (the choices you make based on mood, stress or any emotion)
- Learn skills to manage your emotions and make better choices
- Understand how your environment affects your choices and what you can do about it
- Learn how to make better nutritional choices most of the time (80% is good enough). When combined with physical activity, quality sleep, and a dose of gratitude, you can be living a healthier, happier lifestyle right now.
Learning how to diet without dieting can begin right now with your next choice… there is no magic about Monday morning.
Wishing you a future of healthy choices, fitness and most of all, happiness!
Lisa Dahl worked in the boutique catering space for years before following her passion and starting her own business as a Personal Trainer and Health & Wellness Coach in Bolton, MA. Lisa has a focus on providing self-care support for men and women who are navigating life before, during and after divorce. Through her own personal divorce experience and the noticeable lack of resources available at that time, Lisa is honored to be a part of Vesta’s network of professionals. You can find Lisa online at www.astudioat68.com.